Saturday, November 12, 2011

Teach Your Children

Alrighty so, I'm kind of a slow burn, I have a long fuse, seriously it takes a looooong time for me to get angry. UNLESS! We're talking about children. I had an argument with a friend yesterday about public education. Now, I am WELL aware that the public education system in the United States is flawed, it is. HOWEVER, it's better to have the flawed system we have now then to have NOTHING. My friend argued that the government should have no say so in how you educate your children, which, in a perfect world, that's a SUPER idea. There are parents who know their kids need an education and would do their best to make sure their offspring are ready for the real world. These parents are not what the mandatory attendance of school laws are for. There are parents who don't give a fuck, they had babies for whatever reason, as is their right, and are doing the bare minimum required by law (sometimes not even that) to keep their children alive and safe. What would happen if we had masses of uneducated 18 year old's voting? I suppose you could take away their right to vote? Ooops no can't do that, nor would I want to. Millions of men and women have died over the years so we have the right to vote. In a world where even a college degree doesn't guarantee you a job, I think denying our young the opportunity for an education is setting them up to remain poor.

No comments:

Post a Comment